I am from a very close knit family. We had

I am from a very close knit family. We had a great childhood. We were brought up by loving parents who obviously loved each other. We were given a strong sense of values and a good work ethic. I have always enjoyed my sisters company and our spouses get along well also. My husband and I were unable to have children, so I was very honored to be the godmother to one of my sisters daughters. Now that she is an adult we have become quite good friends.

She was born in the month of August. My sister always thought I spoiled her because for her birthday I would take her shopping and buy her several outfits for school. I knew that the gifts were elaborate, but I enjoyed giving them to her. As she got older I started giving her nice pieces of jewelry. She never liked her birth stone, so I had not given her anything with it in. The years that she turned twenty one I was looking for something special. I came across a nice selection of birth stone rings. I talked with the jeweler about the fact that my niece did not like her birthstone and asked if they thought it would be appropriate to give her a birthstone ring from a different month. The jeweler said that this would be fine. He told me that in fact the majority of the birth stone rings they sold were for a month other than the person was born. He said that the most popular stone was the sapphire. He said that emeralds and rubies were a close second. I looked at the birth stone rings and was having a difficult time making up my mind. The jeweler then told me that they had a nice sale on their pearl rings. He told me many people buy them in place of birth stone rings. I found a fresh water pearl ring with a unique setting that I though my godchild would love.

I day after her birthday we went out for birthday lunch. We each had a cocktail with lunch because she had reached the legal drinking age. After we had ordered I presented her with her birthday gift. She absolutely loved the ring. By complete coincidence her sister had given her a pair of freshwater pearl earrings. I told her about looking at birthstone rings and trying to decide what to get. She told me that that would have been fine, but she loved the pearl. Through the years every time I see her she is wearing the pearl ring. I know she truly likes it because she wears it all the time.