boat dock



When I was a little girl, my family and I went on a vacation together to Lake Christy in Canada each year. My grandparents and all of their children and grandchildren went, and I even have a memory of my great-grandmother being there with us. We rented cabins and would all stay up there for a week. For some reason, we only did this a few times before everyone became too busy to go together, but my grandfather still went up there on occasion with my grandmother to get away. The one thing I remember the most about the place was the boat dock and the raccoons.

I remember the raccoons because the cabins had tin roofs, and the raccoons would climb all over them at night. This would make a horrible racket, and me being only five thought the world was coming to an end. Between that and the shadow of the wood stove, I was scared for a few nights before I got use to being there. I also remember the boat dock because I spent a lot of time on it. This didnt go too far out into the water, but it served its purpose. If I remember correctly, the boat dock was ours exclusively while we were there because of how many cabins we had rented.

There was also a raft that floated out into the lake. I thought at the time it went way out there, but looking back, I dont think it was that far. I was too scared to swim out to it, but my aunt did offer to swim out to it with me. I never would, and ended up sitting on the boat dock by myself while she swam out to get some sun. I would go down in the evening to see the raft had drifted closer to the boat dock for some reason, but it was always way out there during the day.

I also remember sitting on the boat dock while my family went out on my grandfathers motor boat to take a ride. I didnt want to go, and choose instead to watch them from the boat dock and enjoy playing with my cousins. We had gone out the day before and the motor had hit a turtle and made a horrible noise that scared me. I didnt get on that boat for a long time after that. However, I was just as happy at times to sit on the dock and enjoy the warmth of the sun and the beauty of the water. You may never think about it, but you can find peace just about anywhere.